Thursday, May 6, 2010

You have only yourself to blame

The other day I was at a bar.  That's not something I do very often but it was interesting for a bit.  I was sitting at the bar nursing a ice water and having a chef salad.  While I was waiting around I watched the people coming in.
Most of the people seemed really happy to be there.  There was a lot of college guys and girls being obnoxious towards one another.  This was of course a matter flirting and  the like.That sort of annoyed me, but it's the right(and maybe rite) of that age.
While eating the deliciously fresh salad, I also masticated on this behavior.  I wondered why do some people react so differently to the same enviroments and social situations.  I have a hard time in many social senarios and I try to push myself to be more outgoing.  At the same time, I see other people very much at ease.
This led me to think about how in so many different situations the same thing happens.  I mean, people aren't that much different from each other.  We have generally the same genetic and chemical makeup.  We're more alike in that way then different.  At least I think we are.  So, are our reactions really all that different?  Maybe not.
My latest theory is that I have most, if not all, of the same reactions or emotions as everyone else.  I just notice some of them more.  When someone is feeling confient while I'm feeling vulerable, part of me is as feeling confident.   I just don't hear it as much. 
That explains to me what people mean by the phrase, "find it within yourself".  It's all there, I just have to pay attention to it.
Well, that's about as far as I've gotten with this line of thinking.  How do you feel about it?

4 comments:

  1. Some very interesting and good points. It is to our benefit to remember that we all do have the same types of feelings. Yesterday there was a little aspergers girl at the library. She caused a bit of a stir and when she left several parents commented and snickered about her bad behavior. While I heard this going on I became very angry. I thought it cruel and petty to pick on a 4 year old who obviously has no control over her emotions yet. However, all those parents had chidren that the little asperger girl had offended in some way, and were reacting protectivley. I think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes sense. Of course, who knows what goes into making up our personality. Is it chemical? Or is it based on something else entirely? It's a great question. I have no idea. Not even a theory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People are pretty much the same but upbringing and their own choices are also important. I know people who've had good upbringings yet they still act like buffoons. That little aspergers girl will probably act better than those so called 'normal' adults when she gets older.

    I've also had those surrealistic moments where your sitting in a room full of noisy people and its like your invisible just watching them. Its strange.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know why your posts weren't coming up on my reader. Look what I missed!

    ReplyDelete