Thursday, February 11, 2010

Valentine's Day Redux

I wrote a Valentine's Day blog a few years ago that I liked.  I'm reposting it here for your enjoyment. 

You see, today I was overwhelmed by the vomit inducing commercials and such for this wicked of wicked days.  This put me in a foul mood, so I ate like a pig and felt sorry for myself. 

So to make amends for my naughtiness, I'm annoucing it publically so that I will shame myself into not doing it again. 

And without further ado, here is my old blog post:

The coming day of darkness


Valentines Day...has ever there been 2 words that I find more distressing with every passing year. If you tried to guess why, you're probably right.



When I was younger it seemed so harmless. There are the heart shaped candy, which never tasted great but were fun to read. I've always enjoyed reading and eating, so I thought they weren't too bad. I also rather liked the cards we gave out at school. Who knew what cartoon character or celebrity would be wishing me the best of love.



When the cards stopped coming the day quickly lost it's appeal. I still enjoy the cards in stores, especially the ones for the kiddies, but that's where it ends. Maybe it was that 2 of my former girlfriends thought January was a great month to ditch me, making February rather lonely. Who knows?



- There are 120 single men (i.e., never married, widowed or divorced) who are in their 20s for every 100 single women of the same ages.(odds are against me)


- 2.2 million marriages take place in the United States annually. That breaks down to more than 6,000 a day. (I've never liked weddings)


- 54- 57% of American women and men, respectively, are 15 or older and currently married (includes those who are separated).(sure, rub it in)

- There were 22,022 florists nationwide in 2003. These businesses employed 113,270 people. (so on the bright side it brings employment)


Maybe Valentines Day came from a Roman traditon. "To begin the festival, members of the Luperci, an order of Roman priests, would gather at the sacred cave where the infants Romulus and Remus, the founders of Rome, were believed to have been cared for by a she-wolf or lupa. The priests would then sacrifice a goat, for fertility, and a dog, for purification. The boys then sliced the goat's hide into strips, dipped them in the sacrificial blood and took to the streets, gently slapping both women and fields of crops with the goathide strips. Far from being fearful, Roman women welcomed being touched with the hides because it was believed the strips would make them more fertile in the coming year. Later in the day, according to legend, all the young women in the city would place their names in a big urn. The city's bachelors would then each choose a name out of the urn and become paired for the year with his chosen woman. These matches often ended in marriage." Thanks for the info History Channel! This is a sorta gross sounding event, but I think I'd like it more then what we have now.


So, right now the only plus for me not ever having a Valentine of Valentine's Day is nobody gives me chocolates. I'm not fond of chocolate, never was.


~Dickon

3 comments:

  1. Would it help if I sent you some flowers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey! i just found your blog, nice! well, i am with you on this particular "holiday". i mean we don't even get out of school or work for it...so what's the point really? also, this year's valentines' was particularly crappy for me.
    ~alexa

    ReplyDelete