Thursday, December 3, 2009

Dickon's guide for the brain fried.

Sometimes it can be too much. You know it. I know it. That guy over there knows it. How can I cope when my world is fragile and it's so windy outside?

Well, I'm glad I asked. It's a interesting question. I mean, daily life can be vexing. Quite often I wonder what other people do to unwind. Maybe I should ask those other people. I usually don't ask. OK, I never ask. It seems too intimate a question. That's a special time. Not something to be exposed to some uncaring and crass individual.(If you happen to be uncaring and crass, stop reading now. The rest of you, keep reading but watch out for those other guys.)

Here's what I do. First I take a deep breath because I'm not sure I want share my private time with you. I mean, what have you done for me lately?...Oh? Well, in that case I guess I should tell you.

I remember hearing once "Music soothes the savage beast". Well, that's just not true. The quote actually is:

"Music hath charms to soothe a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak." -William Congreve.

When I found this out, the quote was much more exciting. I mean, who would want to be mauled by a savage breast? The only possible hope of shelter from this barbaric storm is by listening to some of my favorite songs.

Some of my favorite songs:
1. Light & Day- The Polyphonic Spree(I recommend watching the video from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind that goes with it)
2. Yume no Shima Shinen Kouen - Susumu Hirasawa(I have no idea what the words mean, but it's beautiful)
3. Palms of my Hands-Million Year Echo(who is that magnificent singer?)
4. Change-Blind Melon(everyone loves this song. I just decided that)
5. Tranquilize-The Killers(maybe just hearing the title helps me relax)

There you have it. The first step. I would tell you more, but after listening to these songs I'm just too unwound. Sleep is my next venture.

Do you have any songs that you listen to, when the breast tempest is raging?

giving peas a chance,
Dickon

5 comments:

  1. Ah, Susumu. Susumu is certainly one to unwind to. In florida I used to put on his Siren album and lay on the floor of my apartment and fall asleep. music seems to be one of my only saving graces. the time between going to school and heading home again is filled with mix discs that seem to always disengage me from everything else. In fact, Susumu is on some of those discs right now. as for further lists or reflection, i haven't the time now. but perhaps in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jin, I need to get more Susumu music. I've had to find it on youtube when I want to listen to it. Now I'm curious to find what's on you mix discs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like harp music. Once I heard the 4 seasons played on a harp and I just started crying. Good music is very moving.
    I also like nostalgic music, like classic rock n roll and Frank. There will never be another voice like Frank's, as hard as they may try. Someone introduced me to Michael Buble, and I was bored.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When stressed I enjoy some classical and certain hymns and am grateful I live in a time when I can easily listen to music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not many of those songs seem tranquil. To each his own I guess. My tastes seem to change depending on the time of year and if I'm homesick or not.

    ReplyDelete